A dental implant is the latest technology in teeth replacement.
You now have the option of a partial denture or an implant.
How do dental implants work
Dental implants work and very often look like natural teeth.
The implant is secured to a post that has been placed into the jawbone so there is no need for dental adhesives.
How to care for dental implants
Dental implants can be cared for during your regular oral hygiene.
You simply brush and floss, there is no need to use a denture soak cleaner.
Are dental implants expensive
The price of dental implants varies based on several factors which are;
- The number of implants
- Cost of surgery
- Materials used for the dental implant
- Possible restorations and abutments
Unfortunately, many dental insurance programs will not cover dental implants as they consider them to be cosmetic.
What is the procedure for dental implants
When you lose a tooth or need to have it pulled and decide to use a dental implant to replace it here is what will happen.
- You will be given an anesthetic
- A hole will be drilled in the jawbone in which a post will be placed
- The abutment which is tooth-shaped and cut down to receive a crown will be screwed onto the post
- The dental crown will either be porcelain or all metal and is then attached to the abutment by either screwing it on or by adhesive
How long the entire dental implant takes depends on several factors.
Expect anywhere from 5 months to 1 year; 5 months for the lower jaw, 6 months upper, and 1 year if you need a bone graft.
If you are interested in dental implants Oshawa, speak to your dentist about the procedure and if you are a candidate.