Misalignment of teeth also known as malocclusion can cause some problems for you.
Types of misalignment of teeth
There are three types or classes of teeth misalignment;
- Class 1 is the most common in which the bite is ordinary but the upper teeth slightly overlay the lower teeth.
- Class 2 is an overbite in which the upper teeth and jaw dramatically overlap the bottom jaw and teeth
- Class 3 is an underbite in which the lower jaw and teeth protrude slightly and overlap the upper the jaw and teeth
Cause of malocclusion
There are many causes of malocclusion including it being hereditary;
- Childhood habits that continue beyond the age of 3 such as thumb sucking, pacifier, or bottle, and tongue thrusting
- Loss of teeth, extra teeth, impacted teeth, or teeth that are unusually shaped
- Fillings, crowns, dental devices such as retainers or braces that do not or did not fit properly
- A fracture that was misaligned after injury
- Tumors of the jaw or mouth
Treatment for teeth misalignment
- Extraction of a tooth or sometimes 2 to 4 teeth in order to make room for the rest of the teeth
- Reshaping teeth, adding crowns, capping, or shortening of teeth may be done
- In rare cases surgery to shorten or lengthen the jaw
Types of issues that can happen from misalignment of teeth
Misalignment of teeth can cause some issues if they are not taken care of.
The issues that can arise from misalignment of teeth are;
- Tooth decay
- Periodontal disease
If you want to make sure you are not in class 2 or 3 of teeth misalignment Oshawa, be sure to see your dentist regularly.
Should your dentist suggest treatment for misalignment of teeth you should follow the advice given.