Is Bad Breath Embarrassing You?
If you suffer from bad breath it can be very embarrassing and you should speak to your dentist.
What should I expect when I visit a dentist with bad breath?
Your dentist will ask you questions concerning your medical and family history and then, he or she will likely smell your breath coming out of your mouth; and then ask you to breathe out through your nasal passages to smell that. Your dentist may also scrape your tongue and rate the smell from all three as to which one is the worst.
Finding the source of the smell is important for determining what course of action to take.
What causes bad breath
If the bad breath starts in the mouth, it could be caused by all sorts of things, including:
- Dry mouth
- Tobacco use
- Infections of the mouth like yeast infection
- Other conditions of the nose, throat, and mouth
- Poor dental hygiene
- Diseases such as some cancers or metabolic disorders or acid reflux, as well as some liver or kidney conditions
- Gum disease
- Poorly fittied dental devices such as dentures or having cavities
- Respiratory infections such as pneumonia, bronchitis, post nasal drip, and sinus infections
Treatment of bad breath
Treatments for bad breath in Oshawa range from better oral hygiene to addressing an underlying health condition that is causing the bad breath.
If your bad breath is due to oral problems, your dentist will likely recommend the following:
- Mouth rinses and toothpaste to help reduce plaque and tarter as well as flossing twice a day and brushing your teeth after you eat
- If you have signs of gum disease your dentist will probably refer you to a periodontist for treatment
- For causes other than oral issues your dentist will refer you to your primary care physician for an exam