How to Fight Gum Disease?
If you are concerned about fight gum disease Oshawa and your dentist has seen some inflammation to your gums keep reading.
10 Tips to fight gum disease
Here are 10 tips on how to fight gum disease.
- Good proper oral hygiene is necessary to fight gum disease; brush twice daily and floss with the proper tools. A good brush is important and you need to change the brush often, do not wait for the brush bristles to become worn down.
- Use an antimicrobial rinse; you will have to ask your dentist for this.
- Make sure that you are flossing correctly even if you ask your hygienist to demonstrate the proper techniques on flossing and brushing as well.
- Twice yearly have a cleaning by the hygienist who can clean deeper and get under the gum line better than you can.
- Clean your tongue as it is host to bacteria that can cause infection and decay.
- Eat a good diet that is rich in vitamins and omega 3s.
- Be sure to include calcium in your diet
- Avoid sugars and junk foods.
- Avoid tobacco products.
- Drink plenty water, you should drink 8 glasses a day but try to get at least 6 in.
Signs of gum disease
Your dentist in Oshawa will check your teeth and gums twice a year and will alert you to possible gum disease also other signs of gum disease;
- Swollen, red, or puffy gums
- Painful gums
- Bleeding during brushing or flossing
- Sensitive teeth
- Pain when chewing
- Loose teeth
- Gums shrinking making teeth appear longer
If you notice any of these signs before you see your dentist for your next checkup make sure to tell the dentist so he or she can decide if you need any special treatment such as periodontal therapies.