Oshawa Dentist: How to Ease Your Child’s Dental Fear
Many children fear the dentist.
This is perfectly normal, however, there are things you can do to help ease the fear that your child feels about the dentist.
One way dentist can help ease your child’s fear is with dental IV conscious sedation which is safe.
Tips to help ease your child’s fear
Here are a few tips to help ease your child’s fear of the dentist.
- Start early with dental visits to the pediatric dentist who is trained on how to help children ease their fears. It also allows the dentist to watch over the development of the child’s teeth and bite. Some suggest starting at age 1, others say age 3. The best thing you can do is speak to the pediatric dentist to find out their recommendation on when to bring your child in.
- Don’t tell your child about a bad dentist experience you have had.
- Never mention hurt, shots, or other things that could cause fear.
- Speak to your child about the pediatric dentist as a good doctor who will help them have healthy teeth and why healthy teeth are important. If the child asks questions, answer them in a way that is positive without getting into a lot of detail.
- Do not use rewards in order to get your child to go to the dentist, especially not sugary treats.
- Let the Dentist themselves dress up like superheroes or goofy outfits to make the child feel more comfortable.
- Do not take them to your dentist appointments, while this may seem like a good idea their appointments and checkups may be different than yours. Also, seeing your appointment could scare them.
Harmony Dental care has other helpful ideas and solutions to help you and your child when it comes to easing the child’s fear of the dentist.