Your body fights off bacteria by forming icky substances on your teeth after you brush. Surprisingly, the body attempts to remove an infection in your teeth by making the gums swell and create pus. However, this leads to periodontal disease.
This is why it’s crucial to follow proper basic teeth cleaning and to make time for your regular dental checkups. The more you ignore plaque buildup, the higher the risk for it to harden and form dental calculus or tartar. Have your dentist examine your oral health now at an Oshawa dental clinic.
Other causes of periodontal disease
Here are other factors that contribute to gum disease aside from bacteria.
- Recent studies suggest that genetic makeup can pass you down a susceptibility to gum disease. However, they advise that dentists can help you can prevent periodontal disease influenced by heredity.
- Patients with crowded teeth and those who wear braces find it hard to clean their teeth properly. If that’s the case, it’s easy for bacteria to build up and make you more vulnerable to gum infection.
- Poor habits like nail biting or teeth grinding may not cause gum disease. Yet, the force you exert in doing so can make it worse when there’s already gum inflammation. There are dental appliances at Oshawa dental clinic to help you reduce the pressure of teeth grinding.
- Smoking is a major risk in developing gum disease. The more you smoke, the more you create tartar and deeper gum pockets that result to gum infection. Quitting this habit can go a long way in keeping you healthy.
- Periodontal disease can easily develop without the presence of saliva in your mouth. High-blood medications and antidepressants are examples of prescriptions that cause xerostomia or dry mouth.
Your dentist in Oshawa dental clinic is ready to help you prevent gum diseases. He also designs proper dental treatment plan to stop its progression.