How Do I Take Care of My Dental Fillings?
All dental fillings must be replaced eventually, however, if you take proper care of the dental fillings they can last between 10 and 15 years.
Why you need fillings replaced?
Cavities are the reason you need dental fillings in the first place, but cavity filling Oshawa may need to be replaced.
If you do not want to have to have it replaced more than necessary then follow these tips on taking care of your dental fillings to help them last as long as possible.
- Follow the dentist’s advice on how soon you can begin chewing with the filling.
- Avoid hot and cold drinks and foods for a few days as the area around the dental filling and the injection of numbing solution may be tender.
- If you begin to have pain in the area of a filling, you something sharp on or around the filing or part of the filling has fallen out see your dentist immediately. He or she will examine the filling, possibly taking x-rays to see exactly what is going on.
- Do proper dental oral hygiene of brushing, flossing, and using the correct rinse. Remember a dental filling is not a sealant food and debris can still cause decay in the tooth.
- Understand the difference between dental filling materials, how long they last, and how strong each is. This helps you make a better choice in dental filling material and can help determine how long that dental filling lasts.
Remember your mouth has been numbed for the procedure of filling your tooth and as it wears off you will experience some minor discomfort for the next day or two. If the pain continues after that you should speak to your dentist.
Oshawa dentists will gladly answer your questions and help you determine which dental filling material is right for you.