Five Tooth Repair Techniques in Oshawa
A tooth can be broken in any number of ways. How badly the tooth is broken or chipped will determine what kind of repair needs to be done.
How Do Teeth Become Broken?
Teeth often become broken because of:
- Sports injuries
- Cracked tooth syndrome, a condition where the patient grinds their teeth too often and too hard
- Falls that cause injury to the face and mouth
Dealing with a Broken, Chipped or Cracked Tooth
The first thing you should do is call a dentist immediately and make an appointment. They will know how to treat and repair your tooth.
Until you can see a dentist, there are some things you can do to keep the tooth from getting worse.
How to Deal with Your Broken Tooth Until the Dentist Can See You
Here are a few ways to deal with broken, chipped, or cracked teeth at home until you can see a dentist:
- Rinse with warm salt water
- Take Tylenol if it is painful. Only use acetaminophen, as ibuprofen will cause blood thinning.
- If there is a sharp or jagged edge; cover it with paraffin wax (used in canning) or sugar free gum to keep the inside of your mouth and lips from getting cut, scratched, and infected
- Eat soft foods and do not bite down hard
The Five Most Common Techniques to Fix Teeth
The five most common techniques used by dentists to fix teeth are:
- Root canals, for if the pulp has been damaged or exposed
- Dental implants, when none of the above fixes will work
Whatever repair is right for you, if your need a broken tooth repair in Oshawa, we will be able to treat and fix your broken tooth.
For more details, contact your Oshawa dentist and set an appointment.