Are You Suffering from Teeth Misalignment?
Misalignment of teeth, also known as malocclusion, can cause serious health problems over time.
Types of teeth misalignment
There are three classes of teeth misalignment:
- Class 1 is the most common, in which the bite is ordinary but the upper teeth bite down slightly in front of the lower teeth.
- Class 2 is an overbite, in which the upper teeth and jaw bite down in such a way that are obviously and dramatically in front of the the bottom jaw and teeth.
- Class .3 is an underbite, in which the lower jaw and teeth protrude slightly with the biting in such a way that
Cause of malocclusion
There are many causes of malocclusion:
- Childhood habits that continue beyond the age of 3 such as thumb sucking, use of a pacifier or bottle, and tongue thrusting
- Loss of teeth, extra teeth, impacted teeth, or teeth that are unusually shaped
- Fillings, crowns, dental devices such as retainers or braces that do not or did not fit properly
- A fracture that was misaligned after injury
- Tumors of the jaw or mouth
Treatment for teeth misalignment
- Extraction of a tooth or sometimes 2 to 4 teeth in order to make room for the rest of the teeth
- Reshaping teeth, adding crowns, capping, or shortening of teeth may be done
- In rare cases surgery to shorten or lengthen the jaw
Issues caused by teeth misalignment
Misalignment of teeth can cause some issues if not treated properly. Some issues that can arise from misalignment of teeth are;
- Tooth decay
- Periodontal disease
If you want to make sure your bite does not get into class 2 or 3 of teeth misalignment Oshawa, be sure to see your dentist regularly.
Should your dentist suggest treatment for misalignment of teeth you should follow their advice.